Pages

Friday, October 20, 2006

"On Deadly Ground" review

On Deadly Ground (1994)

Directed by Steven Seagal
Writing credits Ed Horowitz Robin U. Russin

Steven Seagal .... Forrest Taft
Michael Caine .... Michael Jennings
Joan Chen .... Masu
John C. McGinley .... MacGruder
R. Lee Ermey .... Stone

Steven Seagal - Eco warrior. Seagal decides the oil companies are getting too greedy. It's time to take out the garbage. Michael Caine (!) shows up as the most evil oil tycoon in the world. Its Caine vs Seagal in a battle for the soul of Mother Earth.

"On Deadly Ground" was the beginning of the end for poor Steven Seagal. I love his early action flicks. My Dad and I would look forward to each successive Seagal bloodbath. The key to his success was that he always played a cop out to bust gangster's heads open. That routine never got old. Arms would break, bullets would fly and I would cheer like a madman. WOO-HOO! Unfortunately, I didn't cheer during this one.

For some inexplicable reason, Seagal felt he needed to send his action fans a message. That message was: "Save the environment". Good message. Wrong forum. The very end of the movie has Seagal giving a speech about proper environmental care. No one wants to hear Seagal drone on about the environment. It put a spike through my heart to hear one of my favorite action stars lecture me on how the Earth is getting abused.

Oh well. Seagal had a good run. I've got a lot of good memories. This isn't one of them.

SCORE: 1.5 out of 4 artic ranger Seagals

No comments: