Pages

Sunday, December 03, 2006

"Frightmare" review

Frightmare (1974)

Directed by Pete Walker
Writing credits David McGillivray Pete Walker

Rupert Davies .... Edmund Yates
Sheila Keith .... Dorothy Yates
Deborah Fairfax .... Jackie
Paul Greenwood .... Graham
Kim Butcher .... Debbie

So a lot of psychobabble and screeching sisters happen in this flick. Basically it's all about family and the best possible care for psychotic relatives. It seems like Grandma nutcase might be having a "relapse" and has gone about doing what she does best. Kill, my pretties, kill! Oh, what is to be done about granny? What about the wayward sister? Let's analyze her too! The whole family is lopsided. That includes the main character Jackie for putting up with it all.

I guess what I'm saying is the whole family could have dropped dead and I wouldn't have cared. What exactly were we supposed to care about? Whether or not granny would be exposed or the little sister would find out? I'm not sure.

Sure there were a few bloody scenes but it all looked fake. Grandma attacking with her pitchfork is not what I would call pure terror. How anyone in the world could let themselves fall victim to her is beyond me. "Frightmare" was not frightening.

SCORE: 1 out of 4 granny attacks

No comments: